How to Register a Business

Licenses and Permits

Check with your local government for any licenses or permits needed.

Register with the IRS

Get a Federal Tax ID – If you have employees or are structured as a partnership, corporation or other types of organization, you’ll need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS.

Get State Tax IDs and Permits – You should also contact your state and local government to find out whether you need a sales tax permit (if you sell retail)and to understand your obligations for property, income and employment taxes.