How to Get an EIN
An Employer Identification Number, also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is issued for the sole purpose of tax administration.
Do I need an EIN?
You will need an EIN if you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions:
- Do you have employees?
- Do you operate your business as a corporation or a partnership?
- Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms?
- Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien?
- Do you have a Keogh plan?
- Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?
- Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
- Real estate mortgage investment conduits
- Non-profit organizations
- Farmers' cooperatives
- Plan administrators
How Do I Apply for an EIN?
Applying for an EIN is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Beware of websites on the Internet that charge for this free service.
The quickest and easiest method is to apply online. After all validations are done you will get your EIN immediately upon completion. You can then download, save, and print your EIN confirmation notice.
Apply for My EIN Now
Apply through Mail
Alternatively, you may mail your EIN application. The processing timeframe is four weeks. Use the SS-4 form to apply:
All information sourced from the IRS